Tuesday 19 May 2015

Staring at Austerity

I switch on my phone.
Youtube.
'The Black Triangle List',
a film by disabled
artist-campaigner,
Vince Laws,
and film-maker
Andrew Day,
comes up and I select.
On a black screen,
white words
begin to scroll down.

The film is silent.
A memorial,
that, I am warned,
may upset me.
I begin to read.
People who have died
within 6 weeks
of losing benefits:
10,200 . . .
I concentrate in horror.
Black Triangle’s
ongoing list
from media reports:
100 and rising . . .

Then the list.
Details of austerity-
related deaths.
A man, 53.
Blind and agoraphobic.
Atos found him
Fit for Work.
He took his own life.
A woman, 51.
Breast cancer.
Atos found her
Fit for Work.
She died a few weeks later.
The stories mount.
I feel anger rise.
Where the hell
was duty of care?
In my ears, each
life speaks in the deep
silence of the film.

I watch to the end.
The website addresses
for Black Triangle,
(the Disability
Anti-Defamation
Campaign)
and the Samaritans,
are the final frames.
Then a last paragraph,
beginning,
‘It doesn’t have to be like this . . .’
I repeat the words.
The whisper feels
like it’s gone
around the world;
when it comes back,
somebody has
challenged Austerity.

Cath Davies, May, 2015







Cath Davies lives and writes in North Wales. She has worked in social care for many years. Currently, she is currently studying creative writing at degree level at the Open College of the Arts where she has been a student since 2008. 

No comments:

Post a Comment